Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Meal #1- Pineapple Chicken Burritos

This freezer crock-pot meal never made it to the freezer. I just prepped this one right in the cooker for tonight's dinner. Super easy prep. Just took a couple of minutes. A few cans to open and I was done.

This recipe called for rice, I used brown. I also used 2 cups of cooked rice instead of 1. This made enough filling for 12 large burritos, enough to feed my family twice. This was a good meal. I'll be able to add this to the "make again" pile.

If you'd like to try this recipe here's what you need to know:

The goods:
  • 3 fresh or frozen chicken breasts
  • ½ (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained *I purchased an 8 oz can and called it a day*
  • 1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup medium salsa
  • 5-6 burrito sized flour tortillas *I had enough filling to make 12 burritos*
  • 1 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce
  • 1 cups shredded cheddar/monteray jack blend
  • 1 cup cooked rice *I used 2 cups of brown rice NOTE: 1 cup uncooked yields 2 cups cooked* 
How to make it yummy:
  1. Place the chicken, pineapple, beans, and salsa in a gallon size ziplog freezer bag. Zip close and place in freezer. When ready to use thaw in fridge for 24 hours.
  2. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Remove the chicken and shred. Mix the chicken back into the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Mix in the cooked rice.
  4. Fill 5-6 of the burrito tortillas. Place in in a 9×13 pan. Pour 1 can of the green enchilada sauce over the burritos.
  5. Top with 1 cup of the shredded cheese and place under the broiler on the middle rack until the cheese is nice and melted. About 5 minutes.

Here's a photo of 3 of the burritos. I forgot to take a picture of the whole pan before we dug into it so you'll have to settle for a photo of the leftovers.

The link to the original post can be found here. Thanks to Mommy's Fabulous Finds for the recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment